Not chips ahoy, real ahoy. I sail. I’m a sailor.
My brother got invited to go sailing on a yacht on the Great Salt Lake with this guy Dave that he works with.
I have always wanted to sail…never have. I got close once. This one time when I was like 16 my Sunday school teacher, Nate Spencer, invited us to go sailing with him if we could keep our mouths closed while he taught the lesson. We did. I had to get out of working my little summer job, I can’t remember where, to go. I did that, met at the appointed time at the appointed place, but they were already gone. Not sure why they left me, but they did.
Ever since then, I have wanted to sail. In fact, I have always toyed around with the idea of buying my own little Hobie-Cat sail boat. But first I thought I should go at least once before I make the purchase.
So when my brother got invited to sail, I asked him to ask the guy, Dave, if we could come too. Dave said we could.
He was even gracious enough to let us bring our kids.
We hit the drug store and bought us some Mechlazine (like Dramamine) and headed to the lake with all the kids. Jacob 4, Alyssa 2.5, Nathan 2, Adam 2 months, Sunny 2 months. Can you believe anyone would take that many kids on their boat? Me neither.
When we arrived at noon, it was already so so hot. Dave and other Dave were spraying off the boat. What were they spraying off? Yeah…Spiders. Did you know that boats that sit in the Marina at the GSL get covered in Spiders. Well now you know. I had to get really brave.
Anyway, once we got over the whole spider thing, it was really fun. Dave even let me participate in the sailing. I got to un-wench something, I wasn't sure what that meant so I just guessed and guessed right I might add. I'm a natural, I know.
All in all sailing was pretty much as awesome as I thought it would be, although it seemed like a whole lot more work than I thought. You have to be really dedicated to sailing to sail. It can be expensive, somewhat time consuming and kinda gross if you dock at the GSL. But when you are out gliding along the open water with wind blowing in your hair and Bob Marly and Jimmy Buffet blowing in your ears it's super worth the work (not that I really did any). Now if there was just something we could do about those spiders...gross. I did hear Skipper Dave say, "I just hate it when I get a spider in my mouth."
Anyway, I can totally see how it could get into your blood, but I’m not sure if I am ready to be a Skipper just yet, but we had a great time and we only had one of the kids puke.
If you're reading this Dave....BIG THANKS! We had a great time aboard what I like to call the Nursery Schooner.

13 comments:
There's no way I would get on a freshly-sprayed spider boat!
"Look at me....I'm sailing, I'm sailing"
-Bob
I am pretty much terrified of water and not so fond of spiders, but it would be worth it to get some good blogging pictures. Too bad you all did this when we were out of town. Gee thanks! I would actually probably be jealous if it wasn't for all the spiders.
I love sailing too! Me and 9 friends registered as boy scouts when we were 16 and ran a 90 foot sailboat for 10 days! Oh, about the potty training, we did the bare bum thing with Taylor, gradually he wore undies, then pants. He still has to wear the pull ups for naps and bed so we haven't figured that out yet. I guess you are suppose to not let them drink for a couple hours before bed. But he is addicted to milk-honestly. And we make Taylor go potty before and after we go anywhere. So it all comes in time. Bribery is the key.
i love the reference to 'what about bob?'! i used to motorboat as a kid, but never saled. im afraid that i would get hit by one of the sail thing-ys and that would be the end of me!
you are as brave about spiders as the owner was to have so many kids on board!
Guess which kid puked. That would be mine, Nathan. Seriously, we can't go anywhere without someone puking.
Alright, the neighbor kid just drank out of my drink! Holy fudging fudge! Joey doesn't share food! I forgot what I was going to say and now I've gone balistic and must go beat some neighobor kid butt!
Oh, yeah. The GSL. Don't get me started on how much it doesn't get used, right Dave? You should have come out to see me since you were out this way.
Bob you took my post. What about Bob, classic line. Guess now I will have to come up with some dumb Gillian reference. Ah, dang it... there really is no point.
Kristin, sorry about your time when you got diched by your sunday school class. That must have sucked, my parents died when I was a kid, do you want to talk about that? Glad to see that there was puking, Nathan must have blown chuncks. Betcha didn't know that whithin a square area of three feet there are an estimated 100 million spiders around you all the time, yeah I watch t.v. Glad your family got back from your voyage and didn't end up stranded on Stansbury Island with a captain named Dave.
Spiders huh? I couldn't have gotten on. You are braver than me.
Dave, that statistic is not true.
It feels true.
Every so often you come to a crossroads in your life. You have to ask your self if you are going to let your fears stop you from living your dreams.
Everyone who knows me and knows me well knows that I am perhaps the world's biggest arachnaphobe. In this case, I was able to stop and assess the situation before I boarded the boat. I thought about my fears (spiders) and my dreams (sailing). I asked my self the question and the answer was no. Spiders weren't going to stop me this time. Then I boarded the boat and the rest was history.
My only regret was wearing my new tan shorts, because now their are spider guts all over the back of them from sitting on, yes, spiders. However, I have faith that my Spray-n-Wash Stain Stick will take care of it for me.
Correction, now there are spider guts all over my shorts. Not, their.
wow how fun! and i really just don't believe you got onto a boat with spiders on it... you really have grown! I'm so proud of you! I guess if you can push out a baby w/out pain killers... you can pretty much do anything. I dont know why i'm suprised. Actually the spider thing suprises me more than the baby thing did.
I still remember the spider incident in amy's basement in NY. Haha... good times.
PS. i'ms till pregnant. damnit.
It looks like you had fun, but i could never do the spiders in the boat thing. Your much braver then me.
Post a Comment