Special thanks to my Grandpas, who served in the wars to keep America a free country. My Grandpa Olson served as a military police officer, and my Grandpa Wardle kept the troops fed working as a cook. It’s always fun (when it doesn’t last 4 hours or more) to hear about different war stories they tell.
Things are different now than they were back then. My generation, until the last five years or so, has led pretty war-less lives. Because of that, I think a lot of us, me included, don’t always appreciate how great our country is and the privileges we enjoy. Most of us don’t do enough to ensure that America always stays this way. The purpose of this blog is not to call anyone into action, although it wouldn’t hurt if more of us would get out and vote or at least register to vote. No, the real purpose of this blog is to show you the cute pics we have from our festivities this year.
We attended the Riverton Parade on the evening of the third of July. Always a favorite for me, ever since I was a little girl, and a great kick-off for the holiday.
We also went to Riverton Park that evening and listened to my brother’s band (not the kind you’re thinking of) play. Alyssa, Alayna and Issac put on a show dancing to the music for us and all the blue-hairs who were there. The kids also got to go and see the carnies who were in town with their rickety rides. They didn’t ride them though, because I am too cheap and I don’t trust the maintenance procedures the carnies may or may not follow. Based on the lack of maintenance they showed on caring for their own teeth, my money says they don’t maintain those rides either.
The next day we did the All-American thing to do and had a BBQ with the entire Sokol Fam. Alyssa had a ball as usual playing with her Sokol cousins. Fun times chasing each other around the house, and watching Uncle Bob nearly blow his digits off lighting fire works and smoke bombs.
We had delicious thick burgers and brawts and chicken along with an assortment of delicious sides.
They had a fireworks display afterward which was neat-o. Nothing makes you feel more patriotic than Neil Diamond singing “Come’n to America with fireworks bursting overhead. One of the best moments of the year. Special thanks to Karen and Charlie for making it happen, we had a great time together.
All in all it was a great celebration. I look forward to many more in the future.
In closing, remember, freedom isn’t free.

12 comments:
fun times! Alyssa looks so cute in her 4th of July attire. Love the pony tails!
I do believe it to be impossible for one to blow one's digits off while lighting smoke bombs. And besides, who needs 10 fingers anyway...just one or two less fingernails to trim/bite-off
And by the way...the only thing that would have made the Bees game better (besides them NOT losing the game) would have been the need for me to show off my cat-like reflexes and save you or a member of the family with my baseball catching skills...I have mad baseball catching skills...too bad a ball never came that close
great post! and CUTE photos! true story on voting-when i was 18 (20 years ago! gasp!)i walked up to an older gentleman at the register to vote table in the mall and started to fill out paperwork. he asked me which party i wanted to register for and NO LIE i said...
'which one is the elephant?'
him: 'the republicans.'
me: 'oh great! that is who alex keaton votes for too!'
him: nightmares of what the future holds...
(in case you are too young to know-alex keaton is from a tv show family ties from the 80s.) thankfully, the whole republican thng worked out for me...
Way cute pictures, those Sokols have cute kids.
...you've got to pay the price, you've got to sacrifice....
Great statement sort of a Union of the State of Sokol address. You and Steve have a great family thanks for sharing you home with our family the other night we all have great times when the A5's get together and let the hen's rule the house. Thanks Heather for the M.C. Hammer quote (I think it's him) "pay the price.. you got to sacrifice.." Poor M.C. Hammer too bad the American Dream didn't work out of him. What about mad basball catching skills? A true man skill to have. I also enjoyed the Alex Keaton comment! Awsome.
Also one more point, you do know us all to well.
hey kristen,
Great blog, loved reading about it, and seeing how cute your fam is-I added you onto my own blog, just so you know!
I loved the pictures and the story about the 4th of July! Thank you for being so enthusiastic and for being such good sports. Sitting in the foul ball area with new baby Sunny was very brave.
You are so right, our freedom is so precious. We love you!
What a super fun holiday! Cutest pics ever!!!!
So if you are up for a five hour drive, why don't you come down to good ol' La Verkin in Sept. and have a mini-mish-reunion with the Tau's, North's and us (I've given the offer to the Sherwoods, but they will probably be responsible and not ditch their jobs :)
Or maybe we will just have to settle in another passing through visit :) Hope you guys are having a fun Summer!
Take care!!
OK, so I've tried like 3 times to email you the parade pictures and they won't go through. Something about how hotmail is really crappy. So, if you still want them, you'll have to get them straight from my camera. Sorry!
I tagged you on my blog:)
Unless you have had your arms chopped off (in which case you should have phoned me)....(or had Steve do it), I insist there be a new post on here when I read your blog again. I have spoken.
Post a Comment