Friday, March 12, 2010

Cross country falling…I mean, skiing


I know we are all hating on the snow right now, but we got these snowshoes and snow pants for Christmas and we waited and waited for the snow to fall around here, but it never came, so we have had to make up for lost time.

After enjoying snowshoeing immensely two weeks ago, last weekend we tried our hand at cross country skiing. Now, you should know that I have never skied in any fashion. We went back to Millcreek Canyon and skied two miles up the canyon with my brother and sister-in-law Randy and Leslie, and my friend and former clients Amy and Luke.

I mean, just look at us. Don’t we look darling doing this? Yes.

We loved it. I only fell one time on the way up.
My brother Randy fell many times.

The key word here was on the way up. On the way down….we all fell. We fell so many times we lost track. Perhaps I can’t remember how many times I fell because my brains got bashed around so much.

I wasn’t the only one who fell. Everyone fell.

So here’s the thing you should know about cross country skiing if you’ve never been. You can not stop on those things, unless you are willing to throw yourself into the snow bank as it whizzes past at 100 miles per hour.

So here is the key to cross country skiing. Don’t go in Millcreek Canyon. Go somewhere else that doesn’t have a deceptively steep incline.


We ended up taking off our skis and walking once I realized that if I fell one more time chances where pretty good it would be the last time I would use my ACL the way God made it.

So there we go, that’s cross country skiing in a nut shell. Well…one more thing…I was as sore as I have been in years.

It might be a while before I ski again. It was fun though, as long as we were going up.

3 comments:

ba and the boys said...

you are amazing to always be trying new things! that is what i love love love about you!

lindsey v said...

We used to always go cross country skiing up Millcreek growing up. The slant is definitely decieving when you are on your way up.

amibelle said...

Good times! It was fun going up, but a whole lot tougher to stay on my feet on the way down. It's always fun to watch other people fall though. I couldn't help busting up laughing when Randy fell, it was hilarious to me every time.