So over the last four months or so, Sunny has been killing me a little more each day. We finally hit a breaking point at about the last week in June. I was losing my mind fast and needed help.
I was so desperate, I was even willing to read a parenting book to glean some helpful hints or find some kind of coping techniques to deal with two-year-olds.
Her screaming and tantrum throwing and odd requests have become too much to handle. Even my mom concurred that she was a “difficult child.”
I know she is not a difficult child, but just going through a phase that I don’t understand.
At the end of a very difficult day I typed “My kids are driving me crazy” into Google. All kinds of parenting forums came up with some useful info and some not so helpful. One of the forums mention that two-year-olds are supposed to have tantrums and that what they need is as much freedom as possible, and sympathy when they can’t have their way.
I decided to implement what I had learned, and…it has worked like a charm. She is a different person when she is given a little more freedom.
For example, at dinner tonight, she really wanted to eat her dish of yogurt with the serving spoon from the rice-a-roni. Normally I would never have allowed this, but the new me let it go and just let her do it. It really made her happy. It was weird looking, but it made her so happy. I guess she wanted strawberry banana rice-a-roni flavored yogurt. Whatever.
And earlier today, what she really wanted to do was haul our costco sized jug of pancake syrup around the house. Well…that’s where I draw the line. Instead of fighting about it, I just picked her up off the floor and let her cry on my shoulder and gave her some sympathy. That ended it, where normally she would have been flailing on the ground for at least five minutes.
So the purpose of this post is to say thanks to the magic that is Google. You have saved my relationship with my two year old.

9 comments:
Seriously, what did we do before the internet? No encyclopedia would have that parenting advice!
sunny is the cutest little girl EVER but i guess the 2 hours i see her every other week doesn't give me the whole picture huh? i love your solutions!!! it is amazing how these strong willed kids just need a little freedom. my max does SO much better when i just back off and quit saying NO to everything he wants to do. i'm going through a HARD stage with my 3yr old right now...rough day today...so i'm glad to know that i'm not alone. at least we're all learning together huh?! way to go on trying new things!!
Plus there's the added bonus that you are now teaching her to make her own decisions.
One of the things that has worked best with my kids is to explain to them why I don't want them to do something. It is AMAZING how much better they deal when they have all the necessary information.
I love that.
I think when Eleanor was learning to dress her self her clothes were on wrong almost everyday. I was just so proud that she got dressed I let it stay that way. We did change it when we went out.
I am having the same thing with Owen. I think his comes from his lack of words. I do love google. It answers so many questions. I love your posts.
I liked the book "Love and Logic for early childhood years" It gave exact examples and what to do if that happens. I didn't like some things about the book, but it at least gave me some help for a few months until Taylor learned how to play video games... now I don't even have to parent him! lol.
Very enlightening... Kayson is going through a similar "difficult" phase. HE'S DRIVING ME NUTTS!! You may have saved me a day full of fits.
My Ryan was exactly the same at 2 and a good portion of 3. I L.O.V.E. Love & Logic and it helped me make it through those times with Ry. That, and I didn't want to spend a whole year and a half just fighting battles with him. He's definitely more stubborn than I am and I didn't want to look back on these days with resentment. So I just let it go (within reason, of course). Yay for you! And just look at your Sunny. She is adorable! Doesn't it help to just focus on their cuteness when they're acting like that? It's saved Ry's bacon on more than one occasion. ;)
Can you come and live with me for a while and figure out my kids because I am hopeless as a mother.
i soooo understand! even though both of my kids are perfect, they are very different! the skills i had for dealing with parker will NOT WORK FOR NATE. still. to this day.
im glad she liked her rice a roni/yogurt combo for dinner. i threw up a little in my mouth reading about it.
Post a Comment