Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Butterfly Catchers!

Ever since Amy's wedding, by kids have somehow become obessed with catching butterflies.

Our subdivision is called Monarch Meadows. It is called this for a reason. We do see our fair share of these beautiful butterflies. We often try to catch them when we do see them. We even have a butterfly catcher (leftovers from Amy's wedding. Alas these critters have always been very elusive.

The other day at my mom's house I noticed a beautiful butterfly parked on top of what I believe to be a Butterfly Crack flower plant at her house.
It was sucking nector off the flowers and didn't even notice me sneaking up behind it. I was going to catch it with my bare hands, but I chickened out because of the buggie grossness of touching an insect.

Luckily, my mom had a Kerr jar just sitting on her porch. I grabbed it and snuck up on it again. I easily slid the jar over the Butterfly and it was mine!

We were on our way to a wedding shower for my cousin so I had the kids in the van already so I brought the Butterfly filled bottle into the van to show them.


I let them cover the jar's opening with their hand and they felt the irradic flapping of it's wings fluttering against their hand.
Nothing could bring more joy or excitement to thier faces than this did.

It was so fun to watch them enjoy this experience so much. It reminded me of my own childhood following those little white butterflies all over the yard. I loved to chase them with the Egbert and Olson kids I used to run around with. I remember spraying them down with the hose. Once the were wet, it was a lot easier to chase them because they were a lot slower. I loved butterflies. I guess everyone does.

We let the Butterfly go after we had our fun with it.
You would have expected it to fly away, but no...


What did it do? Back to the Butterfly Crack Plant.
I am going to get one of those for my yard.

1 comment:

Emilee said...

Hey. . .what's the official name of the Butterfly Crack plant? I've always thought those plants were so pretty.