Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Halloween Blog


We had a fun Halloween season. We kicked off organizing a Kindergarten Halloween Party.


We knocked the kids socks of when I told them I had met a "real witch" who gave me a secret ingredient to add to our punch bowl to make it Witches Brew. I'll never forget the looks on their faces when they punch instantly started to smoke and boil. Priceless.

Sunny and I had a great time watching the Halloween Parade of costumes.
When Alyssa came past me, she looked totally embarrassed to see me and to have me take her picture.


We had a fun party at school. I love being her Kindergarten class's Room Mom. With lots of willing parents to participate and help with parties, its nothing but fun.

Cute class and cute teacher who looks like such a scary witch.

WE also Trick-or-Treated at Chancellor Gardens which is where my Grandpa is living. It's an assisted living facility in Davis County. It was really fun to see my 92-year-old Grandpa. He appears to be in great health, but I don't thing he remembers all his grandchildren (He has 37) as well as he used to. But then, I don't remember them as well I as I used to either.

It was a real kick getting candy from all the residents there. They loved seeing the kids and many of them continued to give us candy each time we walked past, not remembering seeing us the previous three or four walk-by's. So remember that if you ever want to get tons of candy. Go to the old folks home. The candy is unlimited.

We had a fun game night and scone party at our house on Sunday night before Halloween. I was craving a scone major bad so we threw a party. We ate scones and played Balderdash, my favorite game. Seriously.

Note to self. Eating one scone is better than eating many scones. One of us, I won't say who ate too many and ended up being dosed with an Alka-Selzer at the end of the night. Remember that for next year.

Then came the main event. We had previously picked our pumpkins several weeks before and had waited until the day to carve them so they'd look fresh on Halloween night. We each picked a pumpkin. It took Sunny twice as long as the rest of us. She was very particular. She kept finding pumpkins she liked but after a closer inspection she informed us that they were too "darritated". That's right, darritated. Apparently it means too dirty. She makes up her own vocabulary words on a regular basis.

Anyway, everyone decided what they wanted and we went to the drawing board to find patterns. We have found this year that MS Word Clip Art make the best pumpkin patterns.


Alyssa decided on Pegasus since she just got Barbie Pegasus Movie for her Birthday. Alyssa's took about three hours.

Steve decided to go with Timpanogos since we recently conquered it.

Sunny decided on a Butterfly which was good since it was so simple. After doing Alyssa's we needed a simple fast one to carve since we were running out of time.


I am still obsessed with the Hawaiian Islands, and thought it would make a cool pumpkin, which is does by the way.


We were very happy with how they all turned out. We did make a few simple errors that required us to pin together some pieces as to not ruin the whole effort.

No for the main event. Real Trick-or-Treating. We got the girls all dressed up in their special costumes.
Alyssa went as an Angel. We were able to borrow the dress from our next door neighbor Isabel who's mother made it for her two years ago.
Luckily Isabel is two years older than Alyssa and she idolizes her. She is also able to borrow a few choice things from her like Halloween Costumes for example.

Sunny insisted on being Mermaid. Which is what Alyssa was last year. I originally told her no because I knew the costume would be WAY too big for her, but changed my mind when I found the cutest Mermaid costume ever at Costco.
She was adorable. She LOVED this costume and we got tons of compliments.

If you have talked to Sunny since she was able to talk, it's likely that you've heard all about her best-est friend in the whole wide world, Presley.
That's the other little princess in the photo. She and her mom joined us on our Trick-or-treat adventure.

The three girls had a ball going house to house together. At the third house they had a decoration with sound that gave the scary Halloween laugh. "Mwah ah ah ah ahh!" The girls chanted the scary laugh together in unison for the next hour.

We came upon a particularly scary house which belonged to some of our neighborhood best-est friends. They had a scary blow up tunnel with a reaper or something on it. It was very scary looking, plus they had a strobe light flashing and their trashcans up front which held their scary pumpkins. Presley was out. She asked Alyssa to get her a candy while she stayed back with her mom. Steve and I looked at Sunny to see what she would do. We heard her say, mostly to her self,..."I don't think I can do this...?!" It was so funny. But alas, the lure of free candy was too motivating and she made her way through the spookiness to the free candy. They happened at two other houses that were particularly spooky.

We had a great night and enjoyed the FABULOUS weather. It's always such a crap-shoot with Halloween weather. We were happy to have come out on top this year.

After we finished collecting we came home and had the big DUMP.
What a haul!



The kids dined on their traditional candy feast.


In the past, the Switch Witch has visited our house. The kids separate the candies and take out their favorite pieces and give the Switch Witch the rest. During the night, she snags the bag and leave a Barbie or something like that. Everyone wins. So far she hasn't come, the kids are enjoying the candy but aren't going crazy eating it. We'll see, she may make an appearance.

Due to the excessive amount of make-up and sparkle spray the girls were wearing they both needed to be bathed before bed. They were both deliriously tired.

In all, we had a great Halloween. Can't wait for next year.

No comments: