Friday, December 23, 2011

The Need

You might be asking yourself why? Why does she do this? Answer, because my friends at the Centro de la Familia can really use the relief. And…because the people around me want a WORTHY cause to help, especially at Christmastime. And because Christmas is so much more enjoyable when you celebrate it the way The Master would have you celebrate his birth. By keeping the first great commandment. Love one another.

Here’s a little more insight about why the CDLF school and the families that it serves need our help. I had an opportunity to attend a presentation the Director of the CDLF school gave to the Riverton High School SBO’s (Student Body Officers) after they were nominated (but in the end were not selected) to be the recipient of a large sum of money raised by the high school students' Christmas charity money drive (Silver Rush).

During the presentation, my eyes were opened to the tremendous things these families were doing to survive in this world. I had a glimpse into their lives through a short video which highlighted the parents of some children at the school. The video opened at a dairy farm. It showed a woman about my age wearing tall rubber boots whipping cows with a switch and getting them to stand and then move up and into the milking barn. I don’t know how many cows she moves and then milks, but it was A LOT. She told her story. She has two children. She is from Guatemala. She searched for work for six months and this was the first job she was offered. After working for several weeks with the cows, milking them, one of the cows bit her finger off. Yes, all the way off. She was devastated at the loss of her finger, but had to come back to work after only four days because she was not paid for any days she didn’t work and she was out of money. She needed to feed her kids and pay her rent.

The next family they showed was a mother and father from Peru. They have four children and came here without them. You could see torment as the mother explained how much she loved and missed her children. It was obvious she was in excruciating pain with the long separation. They had been here seven years and had just saved enough money to bring their first child here. The reason they came in the first place was because of their daughter who suffered from a severe seizure disorder. She seizes almost constantly without medication. They came here to find work to pay for her medication which costs $250 a month (probably a quarter of their monthly income). Every month they send that amount back to Peru to pay for her medications. The rest they live off of and save to bring their children here. I sobbed as I listened to their story. Their pain at being separated from their family was so gut wrenching. I almost had to excuse myself from the room because I was so upset and sobbing.

I saw a beautiful baby girl sleeping in a crib at the school. While she was sleeping they softly explained that her father was a Civil Engineer in Juarez, Mexico. For years he could find no work, even as a highly educated man. It was also becoming increasingly dangerous to live in Juarez, he lived in constant fear that his children would be kidnapped or killed. He finally decided to come here in search of safety and work. He is now a farm worker making $8.00 an hour. He is very humble and thankful for the work and the safety he has found for his family.

I could go on. There are so many stories. So many heartbreaks, but also so many triumphs. I couldn’t help but ask myself, WHY? Why would these people leave their homelands to come here and do these unpleasant tasks, working themselves to the bone? I discovered my own answer as I progressed through this project and delivered the items to the school. They do it for their children.

They realize if they can get their children here and into a school like the one supported by Operation Undies, that the children will have a future that includes education and success and security. The second generation of immigrants who are fluent in English and have had an opportunity for education aren’t forced to take the same kinds of labor intensive jobs. They can be anything they want to be. They live the American Dream. It’s worth the sacrifice.

You might think that sounds crazy, but I know my immigrant ancestors did the same thing. My ancestors pushed a freaking handcart across North America to get here and there wasn’t even anything here back then, they had to build it first. If you think about it…aren’t we are ALL the sons and daughters of immigrants? Somehow I feel like this is the way I can pay the debt of gratitude I owe for the ease and comfort of the life I lead. Our lives are what they are because of what our ancestors sacrificed for their children and future posterity. After seeing and meeting my friends at the CDLF school, I can see that’s just what these hard working migrant workers want for their posterity. And they will have it.

Many of these families live in nearly empty apartments or trailers. Many do not have beds to sleep in. The children eat breakfast and lunch at the school and are routinely sent home with food since there isn’t always reliable food to eat there. They do not have washers and dryers. Some do not have heat. The kids are lucky to have a pair of shoes and just a few outfits to wear. Multiple-multiple pairs of underwear and socks, in good condition, is a luxury most of the students don’t have.

I just can’t imagine not having access to these kinds of conveniences. I don’t really consider them conveniences, but necessities. Anything we, as a group of wealthy people, can do goes a long way in providing relief to families and children who otherwise would not have these basics.

And THAT's why I do it.

1 comment:

Darla said...

It was a pleasure to help these humble people. They don't ask for anything as they already feel blessed to be living in America. We can learn alot from them. Thanks for organizing this opportunity Kristin.