So…No one can ever accuse me of not having the hard conversations. Did I do it…yes I did it. I called the Mayor out to his face. Why? Because it needed to be done. Not that he is not a nice man, he is. Not that he has done a terrible job, he hasn’t. However some of the things that have happened are very questionable. So I questioned him.
Was I nervous? No. Well, not until I got up to the podium and realized that I was no longer in my basement conjuring up all this stuff to say. Truthfully, it was a whole lot easier to say in the comfort of my basement. Alas, here I was in front of the Mayor and Council and City Recorder and City Attorney. Good thing I was prepared with a written statement, or I may have just said…”Never mind,” and sat down.
I read it. I tried to read slowly so the City Recorder was sure to get it all down. I asked them to include “changing our form of government” as an agenda item at the next or a future city council meeting. I cited a few reasons for requesting the change, one being the attention KSL’s investigative reporter has given to the city recently. Another reason I gave was the Mayors behavior in trying to control the media.
At the end of my statement I said something like…"Your commentary is welcome, but not expected.” The mayor responded by saying something like…”Public Comment time is not a time for dialogue, but we’ll be glad to address your concerns at a future date.” So, we’ll see what happens.
We had to leave the meeting a little early because our babies needed us. After we left the building, a man came out after us. He chased us down and introduced himself.
“Hi, I’m James Crane…I’m actually the Mayor’s son. I really didn’t agree with what you said, but I want you to know that I am really glad to see people coming out to participate in government. There are not enough people who come to these meetings.”
(Me and Steve)—“Thanks, we agree. Just so you know we like the mayor. He is a friend of my fathers. We just feel like the city has grown and we need some more guidance.”
(Crane) "It’s really hard to listen to someone speak negatively about someone you care about. But putting that aside, I am really glad to see people come and participate in these meetings."
(Me and Steve) "Thanks, Nice to meet you."
So anyway, that was interesting. Not really sure what to make of it. According to My Dad. The Mayors son James, is the Dean of some college at BYU, and a concert pianist.
One more interesting thing… After the meeting, one of the council members came to Jeff Morten and asked him to ask me to call him, which I did and left a message, last Friday, no response yet.
And that’s how it went.
Special thanks to the Daw’s, Jorgensens, Jeffery Morten and Jan Davis and my sweetie Steve who were all there to support me and this cause as I gave our statement. Also thanks to the many of you who encouraged me and who would have been there if they could have. It really meant a lot to me personally and to the cause.
As for the cause…We are not done yet. Step two, the petition. Who wants to sign?
INTERESTING SIDEBAR
When the KSL story broke, the comment boards went crazy. People were so upset. There were many, many people who said they would be at the next city meeting to voice their concerns. You would have expected a full house and the Mayor and council to be shaking in their boots. Interestingly enough, ours was the only group there. I guess time does heal all wounds.
If anyone is still reading this...I promise my next post will be more fun.
Crock Pot Chicken Corn Chowder
1 day ago

12 comments:
Way to go. I am proud to be your friend. You are amazingly brave.
Yeah Kristin!! I wish I could have been there for you...good job. I'm glad you are willing to take action. You didn't say anything about the media...were they a no-show?
you go girl! so proud of you
Good for you! Interesting move by the son and yes I would call it a move. Don't take it for anything less then that.
Super impressed! That's so awesome. Can't wait to see you guys. What day are you planning D-Land again? You should email me a schedule.
you rock! let me know about the next meeting and i will be there!
kristin sokol for mayor 08
My lastest post is about 5 year olds farting.
You are so awesome to be all involved, and have a solution! I have so many complaints that I RAVE about with our city, but I never know what or how to change anything.
You should tell me what YOU thought of the article about us in the Clipper.. Leave me a comment on my post that has all my complaints!
Good for you Kristin. I'm sure that took some balls!
Way to go Rosa Parks! Way to not let the man send you to the back of your civic bus!
City Manager seems to be an issue with smaller cities. Are they always appointed or are some elected..I mean when they aren't also wearing the Mayor hat too?
S.F.'s is appointed by the Mayor..a little more evolved than what Herriman has going on but it seems like the Mayor just gave it to a friend who needed the cash.
Well I'm proud of you for having the cajones to do it! It's funny that the Mayor's son is playing Condoleeza out in the hallway...
I give your Mom a seven
Post a Comment