Saturday, August 23, 2008

Kristin Tri's

So I have been itching to do a Triathlon, and when I say Triathlon I don’t mean an Iron Man. I just mean a simple swim, bike, run. You might think, well she has five brothers, I bet any and all of them would do one with her anytime. You’d be wrong though (It’s Hambone).

Rick, just not into it. Ryan, also not into it. Scott, afraid of drowning fighting other swimmers. Jason, sinks. Can’t swim a stroke (he claims). Randy, always too busy.

I have also asked friends and neighbors and Weight Watchers buddies. No one with an enthusiastic yes. I also have a myriad of excuses, including being only four months post partum, torn meniscus in my right knee that awaits a surgical repair, no access to a swimming pool, etc. But still a strong desire that won’t go away.

So my brother Scott called me a few weeks ago and said his ward was hosting a triathlon. I was so excited. Could I really do it? Can fat girls compete in triathlons? Answer, they can’t really compete, but they surely can participate. That’s all I am really looking for anyway.

The details included a third of a mile swim, 13 mile bike ride and 3 mile run. Totally doable.

So I (and when I say “I” I mean Scott and I) did it.

The day before I started thinking about all the reasons why I shouldn’t do it, and started to back off. I was telling Steve I didn’t think I should do it and he said… “Sure you can.” And I thought… “Sure I can.” I am so glad I am married to Steve. He always helps me to do things and accomplish things that I if left to my own devices wouldn’t pursue or if I did pursue, wouldn’t finish. So special thanks to my supportive sweetie.


Anyway when my phone rang at 6am at it was Scott saying I’ll pick you up in five minutes, I was ready. So he picked me up and we met the group at someone’s house who I don’t know in his ward. Turns out that out of 30 or so people, I was the only female participating . Come on women everywhere, where is your athleticism? You don’t have to be a champion with a chiseled physique to participate…I prove that. Anyway so we met up and I forced all the men and boys to gather together for a picture. It wasn’t easy, and I look terrible in the picture, but here it is, I hope you appreciate it.


We headed to our Stake Presidents house (rich) to use his swimming pool for the water portion. It was very refreshing first thing in the morning. Not nearly as difficult as I had seen in my mind.

Then it was a quick transition. And when I say quick, I mean we took our time. And when I say we took our time I mean Scott thought my bike tires were too low and pumped them up for me with his hand held mini-pump. Very quick, all the professionals are carrying them.


Then we were off on the bikes. We rode all over the edge of town. We past a really great Yard Sale where I saw a nice double stroller I wanted to stop and take a look at. We are in the market for a double stroller these days. But, alas Scott said this was not the time for Yard Sales since we were in the middle of a Triathlon.

It was really cool to be up that early and see how the other side lives. I can’t believe all the people up and out at 7am. The sun was beautiful and the air was crisp. It felt especially crisp to us since we were still dripping wet from the pool. The bike ride was my favorite part because we moved so fast and so easily all over town. It was a very freeing feeling.

The last part of the ride was up hill for a mile or so. By the time we got to the second staging area. My leg muscles felt nice and tight and a little burn-ie (speaking of burn-ie, did you hear that Bernie Mac died? Another post for another time. I loved the Mac man).


So we ditched the bikes had a swallow of water and we were off. And when I say we were off I mean we started slow, then tapered off. Go team tortoise! And when I say we, I mean I. Scott actually did very well. I just couldn’t get over the sensation in my legs. They felt just like rubber with a bucket of concrete on each foot. It made me giggle a lot at first. Kinda like the feeling you get after you walk on your leg when it is totally asleep. The giggle soon turned into disbelief than I was still running and then total fatigue, but I kept running.

I made it a mile the last quarter mile I was inhaling and exhaling the phrase… “Yes you can.” That gave me the positive mind set I needed to keep going as long as I did. Then I got to the point where I could have kept going but I would have had to stop to throw-up. I thought… “heck if I’m going to stop I may as well not start back up.”

And that was it.

I walked back to the finish line. It took me and hour and 18 minutes to do all that. Would I do it again…of course. It really was a blast.


Nice Tri huh? Pretty good I say for a four-month post partum gimpy kneed fat girl don’t-cha think? Who is in for next time?

Watch out Iron Man, here comes Kristin.

SIDE BAR: I am aware that it is not a good idea to run on a damaged knee. But the way I see it, I may as well thrash it if I have to have surgery anyway…. right? I want to get my monies worth from the surgeon.

20 comments:

ba and the boys said...

woo hoo! stud woman! i am 4.5 years post partum and i wouldnt ever THINK about doing one!
ps-did you ever watch an iron man? there are people pooping down their legs by the end. im glad you arent doing one of those.

Greg said...

looks like you had lots of fun!

Anonymous said...

proud of you girl. Way to go, and way to not keel over. Did you ever know that you are my hero?

Bob said...

girl...you so crazy!

p.s. let me know if you want me to bring any Percocet/Lortab/anti-crazy pills for you tomorrow.

p.p.s. make sure when you say "girl...you so crazy!" that you say it like Martin Lawrence or the late Bernie Mac would say it...it sounds better the way they (meaning Mr. Lawrence or the late Mr. Mac (no not that Mr. Mac)) would say it than if you imagine me (meaning me) saying it in my (meaning belonging to me) monotone voice. Thank you

Misty Moncur said...

You're a freak of nature.

jen&boys said...

Way to go!!! So impressed! I'm in next time. I need a reason to get my lazy postpartum flabby self back in shape, and you have inspired me. What should we do?

Em said...

good for you! i always admire people who can do those things. as soon as i have these babies i want to start getting more into that kind of thing.

Brooke said...

Hey Kristin, don't know if you remember me but I'm Kaylie's cousin Brooke. I found your blog through hers. WOOHOO what a woman you are! You inspire me!

Erika W said...

I can't believe you were the only girl? Not that I would ever participate in something so physically demanding, but I would think there must be some other female out there that would give it a try. I do love the picture of you and all the men, though!

Oh, and Jason really does sink. Like a rock. Nothing he can do to stay afloat. He would make a good science experiment.

Bonnie said...

You AMAZE me!!! And I actually think you look fantastic in the pic of you and all the guys!

Unknown said...

I am so proud! And you are right, not many girls do triathlons. We are an elite bunch. Glad that I have another girl in the club with me. We will be doing a sprint tri on the weekend you guys are here. If you don't have plans, you should come watch. It is on Sept. 7 (I know it's a Sunday...that happens!) in Newport Beach.

Heather said...

why didnt you call...i TOTALLY would have done that with you...

Anonymous said...

You and Scott are awesome!

Unknown said...

Skyler starts at 7:30 and I start at 8:00. The race will take about 1-1/2 hours. Celebrities are way more entertaining though!

Anonymous said...

Good job! You are amazing! You are so funny too! I'm not in for the next one though.

Dave said...

ever thought about trying out for survivor?

Stat Aggie said...

Yea, it was quite the touristy triathalon. Not to take away from the hours of training and work we put into this thing. Hey, someone had to record our feats!
So proud of you Kristin! You were amazing!

Annie said...

Hi Kristin, this is Annie, Dan's wife. I am incredibly jealous!!! I would LOVE to do something like that! Way to go. And, I can't believe you were the only female!!!

Julie said...

That is beyond cool CSO. I am way impressed. It was fun to see you last month and I miss you already!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you!!!! I don't think I could ever do something like that. Are you still going to do that bike ride? If you do I want to go.