So I am in RS conducting the meeting when they nursery teachers bring in my Sunny Bunny. Obviously there was some trouble. I assumed it was a dirty diaper or a runny nose or worst-case…barf. But I was wrong. Barf was not worst case.
Worst case is actually when the window in the nursery room randomly falls out of the frame and breaks over the top of the nursery leaders head and showers the nursery kids with glass and your sweet sweet daughter is covered with thousands of tiny glass shards.
I had no idea what to do. It looked like someone had thrown a hand-full of rock salt in her hair. I started by taking her outside and carefully sliding her piggies and bows out of her hair, turning her upside down and gently shaking her. It was somewhat effective, but still left her head sparkling in the sunlight with all the microscopic glass pieces in her hair.
Another mom was outside with me picking glass out of her son’s hair and she mentioned she was thinking of taking him home and vacuuming his head. Then I noted there were vacuums inside and we both went in to vacuum our kid’s heads.
It was much more effective than the shaking we had done before. Sunny was a real trooper and didn’t cry much. She just kept looking at me and saying…“ I must be clean huh mom?”
After three vacuum sessions the only glass left were the microscopic pieces that were stuck to her scalp from natural oils and sweat. I was so freaked out about how I was going to get those out without giving her 10,000 tiny glass sliver cuts that I started to cry.
They also told me some of the kids had glass inside their clothes, so I removed them right there in the hall. Stripped her buck naked. Poor girl.
Steve found me at this point and we took her home and called the ER to see if they had any recommendations. They told us to ever so gently shampoo her hair and comb it out while it was soapy. So we laid her on the kitchen counter hanging her head over the sink and started shampooing and combing. She screamed through the whole thing saying again…“I must be clean momma!”
We blew her hair dry and took her back outside to see if the sunlight would still reflect glass pieces in her hair. It didn’t.
And that my friends is how to get glass shards out of your child’s hair. Shake, vacuum, shampoo.
Sloppy Joe Pot Pie
1 day ago

10 comments:
I'm literally speechless, and that doesn't happen very often. What the heck..how the heck did that happen? The poor nursery leader who took the brunt of it! I always knew serving in the nursery was a dangerous calling, but this takes it to a whole new level!
Glad Sunny is OK and didn't end up looking like Edward from Twilight. You know, all sparkly and stuff.
Afterward she was the cleanest I've ever seen her and no updo! Thank goodness for gardian angels including her nursery leader. She deserves a hero's award.
Oh my gosh! I'm glad she's okay! I can't believe you figured that all out. Good parenting!
That is so crazy!! I'm glad she's okay. I would've been crying, too. It's not like they cover that in First Aid.
Oh, so sad! You are so funny though. :) Love the new passport, I'll have to buy one.
Um. WOW. That's totally crazy!! I would have cried too. For sure. I have to say that I truly hope that I never need to put this advice into action...
thankfully (?) britney took most of the glass. poor girl-that will really break you into nursery!
i wouldnt have any idea how to get glass out of your/my/a kids hair. the vacuuming part is a great idea! and sunny is such a tropper!
Wow! I can't believe I missed all of the drama. The one week that I am not at church and the nursery falls apart -- ha ha, just kidding.
How cute of Sunny to say "I'm really clean." She is so adorable.
Nursery is dangerous I tell you! I am so glad she is okay! One time the nursery leaders totally lost Andrew and he was found wandering in a gulley but at least his hair was just shiny because of natural shine...not from thousands shards of glass.
oh my goodness...i'm glad i missed out on that experience. i think that was supposed to be our week, but we were gone to my nephiew's mission "farewell." Yikes! I would've cried too! btw it has been fun getting to know you and your family more on your blog! thanks for sending me the link. our blog is private so i emailed you an invite!
Post a Comment