
I guess you heard that George Bush came to our Sandy Costco to promote and sign his new book. As you know I take great interest in photographing myself with famous people. So I knew I had to make this one happen.
I wasn’t willing to stand in line or camp over night to do it, but I figured I could probably see him make his exit or at least see the motorcade.
With that in mind I headed over to the Costco’s with Sunny at about 1:30. Steve stayed home with sick Alyssa who had a headache and a fever. We really did need to buy diapers and wipes.
When I got there I noticed there were people parking all the way out to State Street. I however drove right into the parking lot and found plenty of up close spots. In fact, I think it’s the best spot I have ever had there.
There were about 3000 people standing in line out front where the carts usually are. I saw my Cousin Aly and Shane and there oldest son Bryton. They told me they had been there since 9:30 that morning. They also told me the line of people wrapped all the way around the building. I wished them luck and headed into the store.

They were screening each person who went through the line and into the store.
Inside, it was like any other day, except…there was hardly anyone shopping. I was one of probably only 50 other customers shopping. It was fantastic! There were way more Secret Service and police officers roving the isles than shoppers.

They had half the store sectioned off these big black drapes. On the other side is where he was.

I sweet talked one of the officers to take me right to the back of where he was standing and I actually could hear him talking. Lot’s of “Thank you ma’am’s and how do ya do’s?” I could also hear the country music he had playing. He loves country music, I heard that years ago, but I guess it’s real. I overheard some Costco employees saying they had to go find some country albums for him per his request. He was playing Tim McGraw’s Anywhere Album when I was there.

Here’s me and Sunbun on the backside of where he was. Super exciting. I am sure he could hear Sunnyboo begging me for a drink.
I went to the back of the store and told the secret service I needed salt for my water softener, so they escorted me behind the curtain and kindly loaded a bag onto my cart. When I was behind the curtain I noticed the curtains created a safe entrance and exit. I saw the motorcade cars parked. After that I made my purchase, but not before sampling some delicious breaded chicken which I bought.
We headed out of the building and I spotted Aly and Shane who looked like they just might get in to meet him. Then we loaded up the van and drove it to the west side of the parking lot.

Just in case...
Sunny and I bundled up since it was quite cold and windy and waited.

We were among the first couple of people to stand at the temp-fence, and we could totally see the door he would exit with and the car he would get in.

We waited 20 or minutes and then there started to be some movement.

It looked like the secret service was preparing for his exit. Ten minutes later in a flash out popped W.

He waved to the small crowd that was there and entered an SUV, not the car like I had thought. It lasted all of about 2 seconds, but it was totally worth it.
In case you can’t tell. That’s George Bush right in the middle of the photo with his hand in the air. You really can only see his head and arm and the photo is a little blurry, but it’s the best I could do and I am actually pretty happy with it.
They really do have everything at Costco.
Post Note: Cousin Aly did, repeat did get to meet him in person. No cameras allowed though. They all got to shake his hand. They were one of the last ones in the building entering at 2:58 pm. It was over at 3:00.

4 comments:
Leave it to you to figure out the logistics! Thanks for the photo, you made my day.
im not at all surprised you were there!
That is so great. It looks so exciting with all of the secret service personnel and bomb squad vehicles.
I'm totally laughing at this. Then again, I have a picture of W with my kids, my dad, and my sister. Of course that's when he was running for Pres, not the actual Pres. yet.
I'm most happy that your Costco experience made for non-harried shopping.
Post a Comment