Monday, February 21, 2011

Walking in a Winter Whining Wonder Land


So, last year, we started snowshoeing. We got snowshoes from my in-laws for Christmas and went several times last year. I remember the first time we went about a year ago up Millcreek Canyon. We saw lots of great scenery, clean air, cross country skiers, dogs, and other healthy recreators. It was inspiring and we’ve plunged into winter sports ever since.

We hadn’t used our snowshoes yet this year. As discussed previously, we tried to go once, but only brought one set of snowshoes, so it became a hike in the snow.

So, we were very eagerly anticipating our first snowshoeing trip of the year. Our plan was to pull the kids with our new and already improved sleds (we added longer ropes for improved pull-a-bility). We had looked forward to this for months. We decided to go up Millcreek Canyon because we knew it would be a good place to pull the kids (not too steep, plenty wide) and we knew we’d have great experience there.

Finally, President’s day came. It had snowed for the two previous days and then the Monday holiday was warm and sunny. Perfect for snowshoeing. It looked so ideal, that we packed a lunch and a waterproof blanket and planned to have a picnic on the trail. The kids were very excited about this idea of a winter picnic.


We arrived at the top of the canyon and saw that a lot of other people had the same idea we did. The lots were packed. But we got a great parking spot anyway.

This guy got such a good spot he decided to leave his car for the whole winter I guess.

The snow cat ran by as we arrived.
The kids thought that was exciting. They also seemed to enjoy our hike up the canyon. It was very pretty. Lots of new, clean snow. Other interesting recreators were everywhere.

One thing we noticed immediately was a lot of dogs and a whole lot of yellow snow. I guess every other day they are allowed off-leash up there and it was today. So many dogs running around.
It was fun—but also a little bit of a pain to deal with them all. Of course, the girls wanted to see each dog until it got close to them and then they got scared. Oh well.

Sunny, and then Alyssa decided they wanted to pull their own sleds for a while.

Fine with me!

We were just starting to move along pretty good when Alyssa started to complain about “freeze toes.” It was a very nice day—there was no way her feet were really too cold. But she started whining about it a lot. Of course, Sunny then joined in the game. She complained even more about her freeze toes although I seriously doubt here feet were anything but sweltering in her boots and two pairs of socks (these kids take after Steve whose feet are usually burning hot).

We eventually stopped and I put some mittens on Alyssa’s feet.
She seemed to think this was humorous enough and we kept going. She felt like Curious George with four hands. Sunny got mittens on her feet 25 feet later.

Now, everyone’s feet were OK, the complaint was about donuts, more specifically their wanting some, which they knew were in the backpack to eat with lunch.
So, we stopped quite a while before we were planning to and had lunch in the middle of the trail.


It was actually pretty fun.
Cold cuts on King’s Hawaiian Rolls™, grapes, Cheetos™, and mini donuts. Everyone was happy.

Happy until a huge Pluto (Alyssa for poodle) came up and wanted to eat our food. Wanted it bad. It grabbed a roll right out of Steve’s hand, and now emboldened was trying to take everything we had. The poodle’s owner tried to stop it, but this animal had tasted blood (or Hawaiian style rolls anyway) and wouldn’t give up. I put the meat and other food back in my backpack just in time. The poodle still was after us, so Steve threw a roll down the trail. The poodle chased it—and then came right back. At this point the dog’s owner and we got more aggressive and chased it off. But not before it jumped right over Sunny. This scared her and she was crying at this point “I don’t want that dog to eat my food,” she wailed.

So after this pleasant experience, we packed up and walked back down. Down is a lot faster—but we had made it further up than we thought. Both girls we weeping as we climbed down.


We had been out about an hour and a half at this point. It was 28 degrees out (not real cold) and we were all dressed really well. But these girls are not used to such hardship. Alyssa kept telling us she thought our picnic would be in Moab by the stone arch (her name for Delicate Arch). So I think she was disappointed as much as cold. Anyway, we pulled two crying girls down the canyon.

Steve and I had a pretty good time though. It was unbelievably scenic—the perfect day.

Notice Sunny's blankie in the background here. Yep...we had to break it out for her comfort although she pretty much cried the whole way down anyway. I felt really bad for her.

We remembered coming up a year ago and feeling so out of place with the REI crowd up here. This time, we felt like we fit in (please no comments about our not fitting in up there—don’t burst my bubble).

We finally got to the bottom and packed the girls up. They were both very traumatized. This might have been the worst thing that ever happened to them. So much crying and a little more shivering than I ever want to see again.
Thank goodness for blankies.
Alyssa trying so hard to be brave and not cry.
I know how she felt though I cried after finishing that horrible Tour-de-Cure in Brigham last year. Alyssa and Sunny will stay home from our next few winter mountain treks.

You know this was a very damaging experience for them because after they had been in the warm car about six minutes, they forgot all about the coldness and just acted normal.

We went to Einstein Brothers Bagel Bakery™ for some hot cocoa. Note: Einstein’s cups have the little slit holes in the top like every other coffee shop. But they don’t have brewing straws. I guess you are supposed to shove a regular straw through the brew-staw hole. Of maybe just pick up the cup and drink right through the brew-straw hole (and hope the top stays on). Either way, my verdict: Lame.

Despite the hardship, we had a good time.
We even sent this picture into KSL.

One final note, this is Steve writing in the style of Kristin. Could you tell?

5 comments:

Darla said...

Beautiful pictures, and what a surprise ending! It will be a memorable hike for you and the kids.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, Steve you crack me up. Looked like fun except the kid whining part. Still a fun day.

Emilee said...

I totally thought it was Kristin writing this post. So funny. I am laughing at your description of the dog eating your food but only because I wasn't there. I am terrified of dogs, so I would have been in tears along with your girls. Damn dog! I want to get some snow shoes -- it looks like fun!

Morgans said...

It sounds like it will be moments to remember or not remember for little girls. I know how little girls can be though.

Karen said...

It looks like it was a perfect day for your outing. Your pictures are really fun to see. There is so much snow up in our canyons. Sorry that Alyssa and Sunny got so cold. I still think they will want to go again sooner than later. Good job for making it a family fun day though. I bet they will remember the fun instead of the cold. We are sorry you didn't come to our house and warm up, even with us not being home. You both will have to go again soon. Have a terrific Disney vacation. You will all have a wonderful time for sure this trip!