Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Things I think are great that don't get enough press

You know how there are things you just love and can’t get enough of and other people just don’t always catch the vision? Well here’s my list of those things.

Ross. As in the store. Bargain priced stuff. I can’t get enough of that place. I find so many deals there it is ridiculous. I am thinking about open up a direct deposit there.

Chick-Fil-A. Delicious healthy food (for fast food). Polite employees and a real dedication to customer satisfaction. What’s not to love.

Ogden. I think a lot of people have an unfavorable impression. Don’t knock it til you try it. Ogden is awesome. Beauty, history, mountains and what I call Utah’s best kept secret. Weber State University. GO WILDCATS! BEAT MONTANA!

Dr. Laura. Some people say they can’t stand her. I say you can, and if you do, your life would improve. She has to be really direct to get to the root of the callers issue. She has less than three minutes to cure the problem. She can be heard weekdays from 1-4 on AM 570 Have you ever wondered why I am so dang awesome???? Here’s your answer. Dr. Laura.

Clogs. The perfect shoe. Oh, not if you want to look good. But if what you want is coverage and comfort and ease. Clogs are your shoe.

Steve. Keep in mind that this list is in no particular order. He’s so great. I know I have said it before but still, it’s true. Many of you have noticed that I have become more awesome in the last five years or so. Here’s your answer. Steve. He’s the wind beneath my wings. Oh, and the money behind my debit card.

Baby Binkies. We call them passies. It’s so great to be able to soothe a crying baby. I am sorry to all you parents out there who claim their kids won’t take them. Have you tried all the different shapes and sizes? Not all passies were created equally.

My blanket. I stole a blanket when I left home years ago. I still sleep with it on my bed, it’s so soft and comfy and soothing for me. For those of you who know me well…No, I no longer have to sleep with my blay-boo. I gave it up about four months after we got married. I now cuddle with Steve instead. Just as good…No wait…Better. I do get it out for a snuggle every once in a while usually when I am sad. I don’t know why there is so much comfort in special blankies, but there is.

Ryan Seacrest. You know you like him. I admire that as famous as he is, you never see him involved in tabloid scandal.

Weight Watchers. You really can lose weight. And you can still eat food that tastes good. Not as much as you want whenever you want, but a good amount at regular intervals.

Lava lamps and other specialty light displays. I hate to be a sucker for anything sparkly or shiny or pink, but I am what I am.

Our pediatrician, Dr. Johnson. He is so great. I’m glad he’s on our team. He is so tiny, I’d like to keep him in my pocket as a reference.

My new couches. actually, my whole basement. It’s so great, we love it. How did we ever live without it?

Jack Johnson. When you listen to Jack Johnson, you just know everything is going to be cool.

Blogs. Love it. Love mine, love yours.

And finally…Little Ceasars Pizza. Thank you hot and ready delicious cheap pizza. We are so glad you are finally in town.

Anyway, these are just a few of my favorite things. Some people like girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes. But you know what I like…St. Ives apricot facial scrub. To each their own.

27 comments:

Bob said...

When you said "Ross," I immediately thought to myself, "Yeah, Ross was never as cool as Joey and Chandler. He was kind of the loser of "Friends" I wonder what she likes about him?!?" Then you added "as in the store" and I thought, "nothing"

Now, I did not know you before you met Steve, but I did know Steve before he met you... if he made you as much more awsome as you made him, I would not have wanted to know you before you met him. Its cyclical...you know, as in cycle like.

Kristin Sokol said...

Seriously, I was not as cool before steve. Now I am uber cool. Thanks to Steve.

And yes...He needed me. I agree.

Unknown said...

funny, you posted a comment on my blog cause I just wanted to say YEAH FOR OGDEN! It's even more cool now.

Margie said...

Can I just tell you that you make me laugh. Out loud. I love it. You really are so funny. I don't know why I took me so long to learn this about you seeings how we have been cousins for almost 25 years now. My mother has also discovered your blog and called me laughing out loud as well. We (my mom and I) think you are so great!

Stat Aggie said...

What, no mention about Logan? Who's for Logan? Here, here!

And what about Carmax? Who else would give me $1200 for my piece of crap Lumina?

Heather said...

This is my favorite post of the week Kristin. It totally made me laugh. I told Jimmy about the Steve part. I'm glad you guys found each other. Seriously - if you ever find a lava lamp nightlight (like the kind you plug in), let me know. Hannah really wants one. I love that you shared your fun 'great' things.

Carrie said...

Hey wait--I am pretty sure we have the same, totally amazing pediatrician. He really is the best and I LOVE calling his office because I always get a quick response and follow-up--even on weekends! (I knew it had to be the same DR. when you said you'd like to carry him around in your pocket for a reference--he is a small man--but we love him too :)

This is a fun post! And I agree about Ross--I love shopping there. I like to pop in to all the stores in the valley and see what's new at each one :)

Anonymous said...

silly funny little girl. I wan to add a bunch of things, but just won't be able to be as funny as you, so I won't.

Dan said...

I have to disagree with the Chick-Fil-A. I have enjoyed their billboards over the years, but I've gotten sick every time I've eaten there. It really creeps me out.

Oh, and I thought of "Ross" from friends, too. He was pretty cool. Come to think of it, the "Ross" store really creeps me out, too.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Scott...Logan is great!
I also love Ryan Seacrest. He is my super secret celebrity boyfriend!

Unknown said...

Jack Johnson would be the perfect husband. He is so mellow and he would write songs about me all day long. And we would live in Hawaii and I would have lots of babies.

I listen to Dr. Laura every day. Some people may hate, but she certainly is right. Did I tell you that I got through on her show?

Stat Aggie said...

I'll add a couple more. Cheese. Seriously, what other food item can you add to any other food item to enhance its taste?
Another one. Body pillows. I don't know how I ever got along without one. When Tammy was pregnant with Jeffrey, I stole the one we got for her and never gave it back. I know. Bad. And probably not very manly. But talk about comfortable.
One more - college football. O.k. it probably gets a lot of press, But still, it eases the transition from Summer to Winter better than anything I know of.
Speaking of college football - for those that have done, or are interested in doing score predictions for the college football games of the local teams, I'm now using my blog to take everyones predictions. There's even a prize this year for each weekly winner.
Yes, we're actually blogging again.

ba and the boys said...

here is one to add...
childrens imaganation. my kids can draw and make their own pokemon cards/build with legos/play with match boxes for HOURS! and when they play, they leave me alone! not that i always want to be alone, but at times i really like quiet.
and i didnt see the today show. seriously, i LOVE all 3 morning hours! (4th hour not so much...)
thanks for your list...maye i should make one.
doh-i just gave away 2 off my list...

Annie said...

the only problem with chick-fil-a, is the healthy food there doesn't call my name! its those blasted nuggets that are so addicting!

and yes, weight watchers is fantastic! especially when i actually live it!!!

and i knew exactly what you meant when you said ross...i too have found great deals there countless times!!!

Erika W said...

I'm sure you could probably guess what I'm going to say. It starts with a Nothing and ends with a Cake and there's Bundt in the middle.

By the way, I totally didn't mean to steal your post title. It must have been stored away in my subconscious and came out as Jason was forcing me to try and be more creative and hilarious than you. Darn, foiled again!

David and Jaycee said...

I love you and I miss your stinkin guts! Your girls are the cutest! I LOVE your blog it seriously cracks me up!
We'll be in Southern Utah Sept. 20-24th if by chance you want to come on down???? lots of love
Jaycee and family

Dave said...

Ross was never that cool. Ross dress for less, much less. Chick-fil-ala-crap. Dan said it best, plus there are no chicks.

Heather said...

dr j... polly pocket

Bob said...

I bought a tie at Ross once... it is the ugliest tie I have in my collection... that is why I bought it... for the ugliness of it.

Steve Sokol said...

OK, I've got one.

How about wrinkle-free fabrics. I have some non-wrinkle free shirts and if I wear them to work, even well ironed they look like crap by the end of the day. Some people think they prefer all-natural fibers. But in real-life wear, nothing beats petroleum-based polyester.

That Girl said...

You are hysterical! I found your blog in a round-about way, hope you don't mind. I had no idea so many girlies in the neighborhood blogged. This is great and you, my friend, are hilarious! I totally would've done the triathalon with you. I did a half marathon and sucked wind the whole time, but I finished.
Stacey

That Girl said...

Can I just say I love blogging, too?!? I feel like I'm finally getting to know everyone in the neighborhood now--after almost three years. Ha! You are hysterical! I love your blog! Can't wait to see more. ;)
Stac

Tiffany said...

Kristin I admire you so much! I am so in love with Ogden also. We go up there all the time to go the the children's museum and costco- LOVE IT! I am a big fan of weight watchers also- I finally rejoined again today for the first time since I got pregnant with Max- I just can't go it alone and why should I?

Andrea said...

Hi Kristin, I have one to add too - the newspaper. Sounds lame but I really like reading random stuff every morning and wouldn't it be great to have an article in the newspaper about the newspaper not getting enough press?! Anywho, I came on here to share our new blog. Check it out at http://wrightingonthewall.blogspot.com/
Andrea

Anonymous said...

We can hardly wait to see photos of you all at Disneyland. Have lots of fun. We love you!

Tamara with a "T" said...

OK. Can I just say that your blog is addicting? Or you are addicting? SAME.
I love your favorite things. Do you know what I love about you? You are so happy and you are a thankful person...I need to surround myself around people like you. I need a Kristin blanket. The earth is smiling at you.

Tamara with a "T" said...

OK. Can I just say that your blog is addicting? Or you are addicting? SAME.
I love your favorite things. Do you know what I love about you? You are so happy and you are a thankful person...I need to surround myself around people like you. I need a Kristin blanket. The earth is smiling at you.