Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What's up Hogi-Yogi?

Do all of you love Hogi-Yogi the way I do, or the way I used to? After being sick and taking care of sick kids all week, all I really wanted was a delicious, most, tasty turkey sandwich with mayo and cheese which I usually leave off, but since I have eaten nothing on account of being sick, I figure I could afford the extra cals. Anyway, being stuck her with vomiting kids, I craved and looked forward to Steve bringing me one, picking it up on his way home from work last night and....

It was the worst sandwich I have ever had. And he was an hour late getting home since the service there was so bad. What a let down. On days like this all you have to look forward to a good sandwich.

So, I had to do it. I've been holding it in now for years now, but after that sandwich I let it all go. Here is the letter I sent to them. It's long, but concise.

Tell me if you agree or disagree.

Dear Hogi Yogi,

I have loved Hogi-Yogi from the beginning. A loyal customer, that’s how I think of myself. However, I have been disappointed over the last few years and I wanted to let you know.

The problems I’ve noticed seem to be across the board, at every location I have visited. Because of this, I assume that they are a result of the corporate “tone-at-the-top.” My hope with this letter is not to complain, but to see a return to the old ways…back when Hogi-Yogi was great!

I have frequented many of your locations. Lately they all leave me with the same impression, loud refrigerators humming (especially in South Jordan), cold, no music and dirty corners. You need to liven the place up with music or TV or something to absorb or drown out the white-noise to make people feel like lingering. I think the interior look you are going for is fresh and modern, but it is coming across as bare and lonely.

Next, your price-point is too high. I would eat there five times more often if it cost just a little less. Also, I never see any ads in the mail. I eat at the restaurants who sends ads or coupons my way. It really draws in the crowds. Wouldn’t you rather have a crowded restaurant and make a tiny bit less on each order? No one wants to eat in an empty restaurant.

During the last five years or so, the quality of your food has declined. Tonight, I got a Turkey sandwich from your Riverton location. The bread was dry, it tasted three days old. There was hardly any meat at all. I could barely see or taste it. It is a different meat than you used to use. Not an improvement. The veggies tasted old and bitter. This is typical at all the locations I frequent. Occasionally I get a good sandwich, but not usually.

I noticed that all your yogurts come in premeasured packages. Don’t you train/trust your employees enough to allow them to measure? It is embarrassing to watch them un-wrap three separate packages to make a medium yogurt. Additionally, that is a lot of needless trash you’re producing, that’s just silly. It feels like your restaurant is run by communists who are trying to scrimp every way they can, taking a lot of money and giving as little product as possible.

Third, why is it necessary to have all your food options? Do we really need Yogurt and signature yogurt and ice cream sandwiches, and sherbet and milkshakes and smoothies and cookies? By doing this you are really getting away from what makes your yogis special, getting any flavored yogurt you want with all your mix-in’s.

All the different types of sandwiches is crazy too. I feel like I get punished now if I order a regular turkey sandwich, like I get the worst quality ingredients when I don’t order the fancy stuff you offer. From the taste of my sandwich tonight, maybe I am right.

All I know is Hogi-Yogi was great when it was just that, hogies and yogies. Keep it simple. Simplicity is bliss.

You really have to consider what your employees can really pull off in the “fast-food” time they are allotted. We waited just over 20 minutes for our food to be prepared tonight. Way too long for One regular Turkey Sandwich and one Chicken Bowl. There was only one other family in the store besides us. This has become the TPYICAL wait-time since the menu explosion a few years ago. FYI, at Subway, I am in an out in 5 minutes.

Now let me address the employees. Why do they all seem so sad? I have visit locations including Logan, West Valley, Bountiful, Riverton, South Jordan, Provo and Ephraim (100 years ago). Across the board…all the employees seem sad to be there. Are they not treated well? Are there not employee perks? Are they not getting a free hogie or yogi on their break? How could you be sad after that? Happy employees treat customers in a way that makes us want to return again and again.

Thank you for reading this lengthy e-mail. I hope you receive this message in the spirit which it was created. I want Hogi-Yogi to stay in business providing high quality food and customer service at reasonable prices.

For the record my favorite items are: Medium Raspberry-Snickers in Vanilla and Regular Turkey Sand with everything except cucumbers, and Cool Ranch Doritos. Yummy!

Please feel free to contact me for more information about how I REALLY feel. I would be a valuable resource to you. I am like a one woman focus group. A very savvy consumer, that’s me! I will also be posting this letter on my blog.

I look forward to hearing from you.

14 comments:

The Selleneits said...

well done, I am so with you, I loved it a few years agao but not the some. So nice job on the letter.

Heather said...

i love you.

ba and the boys said...

good post! i have never eaten at h.y. but wont now! very well written letter-maybe you should get a job writing...

Anonymous said...

although I do not eat at Hogi Yogi (except once in Provo on a date), I whole-heartedly love your enthusiasm and back you 100%!

Anonymous said...

ps, to answer your slim fast question: a few things-- 1)it is really Scott that drinks it; 2)who knows, maybe the reason I am small is cause I drink it...; and, 3) I actually make it into a health drink --mix with banana, strawberries, ice, sometimes peanut butter, etc. and really as a suppliment to our breakfast (me and the three little boys). So there!

jen&boys said...

to tell you the truth, I was unaware that there were any still in business. I thought their move to crappiness ended them long ago... I hope your letter helps... I loved them too!

Bob said...

Question: Do they still have a Gandolfos out your way??? If they do, then why would you waste time and calories on the likes of Hogi Yogi and/or Subway??? Question: Have you been to Quiznos? They are pretty good too.
You would be much better off begging for handouts at the major intersection of your choice with a "homeless war veteran" sign than eating at Hogi Yogi or Subway. Better yet, eat a hamburger, they are better anyway. Have you tired that?

Dear Kristin,
Go eat a hamburger instead of a crappy sandwich. Hamburgers are way better than a sandwich
Regards,
Bob

Unknown said...

I've never been to Hogi Yogi, but I must say that you are awesome! You don't just talk the talk, you walk it too.

Emilee said...

Kristin! I whole-heartedly agree with everything you said about Hogi Yogi. I too used to frequent the Hogi Yogi at least once a week when I was in college. Joseph and I went for yogurt recently and it was joke! We both got the same size yogurt but mine was three-times the size of Joseph's. We asked why and the employee said, "Ummm because her's is more thicker." That phrase has become a favorite at our house. Please send the letter.

Emilee said...

PS: I didn't know you had been sick! I'm sorry.

mindy said...

A woman of action, that's what you are. I haven't eaten at a Hogi Yogi in quite a while, their prices always did seem a little steep to me. I love the way you write...I certainly hope that your letter will strike someone with the urge to return to goodness!!

That Girl said...

You need to try the Classic Turkey at Kneaders--divine.

That Girl said...

I can support you in not eating there--I've never really been a fan for the exact reasons you listed in your letter. :)

btw, did the whole tie the binky to the bed trick and it WORKED!!! WOOHOO!! Ry is bink-free!! :):) And all before he turns 3! :)

Heather said...

have to say i've loved your blog lately. just haven't been the best at commenting.

i agree with you on hogi yogi... not quite the same as when i was at byu.

And i totally agreed with you on the plastic cup messages on the freeway. The day before you posted that blog, I saw one up on the freeway and wondered all those same things.

As for 72-hr kits. I went to VF today to get a few more backpacks for our 72-hr kits. We now have matchy-matchy light blue ones with you guys. Thanks for the tip on that deal. And I downloaded the Food Storage Made Easy plan and it was a great help. Thanks for posting all that.

AND ... don't know if you saw on our bloggie... but #4 is on it's way. Remember when I was all gaggy about how our house smelled when you came over - that would be my extra sensitive smeller to ummm smells. but it's all good.

anyhoo... sorry for my eternally long comment! I think I covered it all though. :) happy week to you!