Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Saving Sunny


I think Sunny wants to die. She sure acts like it. Here is three minutes we had the other day.

Sunny: Pulling on a plug in an outlet.
Mom: “No Sunny, that’s dangerous.” Knowing she wouldn’t be able to leave it alone I pulled the plug out of the wall.
Sunny: Immediate response. ..Try’s to stick her finger into the outlet.
Mom: Sits in front of the outlet to stop her.
Sunny: Crawls across the room to start chewing on an electrical cord.
Mom: Crawl across the room to stop Sunny from chewing electrical cord.
Sunny: Attempt to pull her baby self up using a space heater as an anchor.
Mom: Pull Sunny off the tipping space heater.
Sunny: Crawl away and finds a plastic bag to start chewing on.
Mom: Crawl over and take the bag away.
Sunny: Crawl over to heat vent cover and pulls it off in one swift motion.
Mom: Stunned, crawls over to heat vent to re-cover. How did she even know that is possible?
Sunny: Starts bawling because she thinks I am ruining her fun. Mean old mom won’t let her do anything.

This is a very frustrating age. She is so very curious about everything, but has not been around long enough to know that some things can kill her.


I am always fishing things out of her mouth especially little yarn-ties off her baby blankie. Somehow she unties the knots made of yarn and eats them or at least sucks on them for a while. This kid has incredible dexterity to be able to undo those knots. I can’t even untie them. I think she sees it as a challenge.


Another favorite past-time of hers is eating books. I am not talking about lightly sucking on books or gnawing on them a little. I am talking about completely eating books, until they're gone. Total destruction. Come check out our book collection sometime, or what is left of it. I am always fishing big hunks of cardboard (board books) and paper out of her mouth.

It sounds like I am not supervising her that much, but I am. She is just a very busy girl.


She is also heavily into the drop game. She especially loves to drop food and drink and watch Steve and I pick them up. She loves that game, as do we.

She is a very sophisticated girl, way too cool to eat baby food. She eats what we eat. She very much prefers to feed herself, which isn’t always possible, but it’s highly preferable to her. She is a very independent girl.


One thing she’s got going for her though…She is a good sleeper and is easy to put to bed. No special requirements necessary. When it’s time, she just goes. Which is helpful, because by the time she goes to bed I have already saved her life so many times during the day and I am completely worn out.


I am enjoying her babiness as much as possible, but I won’t be sad when it’s over. I love being able to talk and explain and reason with Alyssa. Can’t wait til Sunny is of age.

7 comments:

Terrisa said...

Awe! So cute! No one ever tells us of the "con" of having kids. Just wait until the day one of your kids uses their "sword" (aka butter knife) to stab the outlet to "see what happens". I'm lucky I still HAVE two kids. I keep the burnt outlet as a reminder that they're not 30 and should know better.

Bob said...

I've got child protective services on speed dial... don't worry Sunny, Uncle Bob has your back.

I guess I need to cherish these last moments of Evan's immobility while they last.

As far as eating books goes, after the great bood division I ended up with some books that I "ate" the corners off of.

By the way, that picture of her sleeping is one of the first times I have every thought she looked like Alyssa...

Unknown said...

Your girls are seriously so cute. Especially that picture of them hugging. Ahhhh! That's great that Sunny falls right to sleep. My sister can't stop talking about Diego's (non) sleeping schedule. It's semi-annoying.

The Tharps said...

Oh, my goodness...I can't believe I am going to do that again! And I know what you mean about trying to reason and explain things...man this mom thing gets tricky sometimes.

wayward daisy said...

Ok, we need to get our kids together. Sounds like they could make REAL mischief. In other news, maybe I'll start a blog this week...

Amber said...

Very cute pictures!! What a cute little ballet class, Madison wants to try a dance class next- way fun!
Sunny is a cutie and I just love how independent she is. Keep an eye on that one!

ba and the boys said...

maybe you should take one of those 1st aid classes.
pf course MY KIDS are perfect and would never ever do that...(ok stop laughing.)
and think of all the fiber in her diet with book/food. we should all be so lucky to get all of our fiber in everyday!