Every once in a while Alyssa and Sunny play so well together. When this happens Alyssa gets together with Sunny and they have what they call "Alyssa and Sunny's Big Day." They run around the house together and say, "We're having our Big Day mom!" Which is always a relief to me because I can get stuff done and I generally don't have to referee their constant little tiffs.
Anyway...about 4:30 p.m. they started in on one of their "Big Days", I was delighted because I was making a rather complicated (for me) dinner. I was super thrilled not to have to be worried about the two of them.
They ran around together and played a few different things. Alyssa always takes the lead and Sunny rather than trying to dominate her as she usually does, take her instruction and follows them intently. This type of behavior only happens with her during "Big Day's".
At about 5:30 pm they pulled out two identical Ikea step stools and decided to "exercise" with them. They used them as stair steps. I don't know where they learned this. I don't step in front of them or really at all. But stepping they started. They stepped together for about 10 minutes when they got VERY thirsty and sweaty. They got themselves a cup down and filled it with ice and water from the self service fridge. They each drank (from the same cup) and went back to their stepping.
About 10 minutes later Alyssa said, "come on Sunny we need to weigh you to make sure you are healthy!" Sunny obediently followed Alyssa to our little office where we have a yard stick. Alyssa "weighed" (measured) Sunny and pronounced her as "healthy" and they went back to stepping. Alyssa mentioned at this point that they would continue the stepping until Dad got home. Which was still like 45 minutes away.
I ran out to the mailbox to deposit our latest Netflick (The Tourist, we liked it). There I saw my friend next door and we got to talking out by the mail box about this and that and 25 minutes later I went back inside. Still at it. These two were still stepping. Up and down, up and down, up and down. They had been at it for more than half an hour at this point.
Getting off every five to ten minutes to drink their shared cup of ice water. They were having such a blast and I was enjoying the freedom so much.
Well at 6:36 pm Steve walked through the door and found his two darling daughters sweating and stepping up and down in the family room. They were so proud of themselves for achieving their goal of making it until dad got home. I was too. I was actually astounded that they were able to do it. I am not sure I could step up and down for more than an hour these days.
Anyway...it was very cute. I'll remember it forever. Since then, they have pulled the steps out almost every day although it hasn't lasted nearly as long as it did the first day. Who knows maybe they'll be the next generation Jane Fonda. Remember those videos?
Crock Pot Chicken Corn Chowder
1 day ago

3 comments:
I love your girls! That is such a cute story.
Following your example of getting healthy! You're a good leader.
That is seriously amazing! I couldn't imagine stepping that long. You really are such a good example to your kids.
Post a Comment