Friday, August 5, 2011

Rides and Falls


Since Alyssa’s biking skills have improved, we decided to put them to the test. Steve loved riding the Provo River River trail when a student at the BY. So we headed down that way to realize the fruition of his dreams.

We started with a quick no-mess picnic before we left at the trail head at canyon Glen Park.
We were almost all alone at this park which seemed odd since it was such a nice Saturday afternoon. Shortly another family came and shared the Bowery with us. The river was raging and they brought with them a very curious little boy. I could see the fear across that little mom’s face as she was trying to keep her boy from being too interested in the river that could rip him a way in a matter of seconds. He fell in the mud along the banks of the river twice while we were there, but never in the river. Whew!

We set off up the trail toward Vivian Park.
It was a little hot when we left and not much shade, there were a few murmurings at first about the heat and some rather step hills, but really they didn’t last. I had to hop off my bike and help push Alyssa, my new little biker, up the hill. As we rode a little further down the trail the trees made a perfect canopy over the path and the scorching sun wasn’t much of a problem anymore.

After just a few minutes we came up to Bridal Veil Falls.
It was as beautiful as it was refreshing.
Thanks to my new Teva Sandals I was able to escort my two young ones into the water to play.
It was really fun. The water was so icy cold. The kids didn’t seem to mind the cold water. We finished our play in the water and continued on the trail.

We found this old cement bunker or something with lots of graffiti on it.
I have a soft spot for smart and profound graffiti.

Sunny was happy as long as there was water for her to drink. I finally passed by camelback to her which she held and sipped quietly the rest of the way.
Once we got near the end we began to see more wild life. The real highlight besides ducks was a real live Beaver who was swimming sticks through the river. It was really fun to see with my own eyes. I think this is the first time I have ever seen such a thing. I have seen a skunk once in person though. Not quite as fascinating. At least for me.

We reached the end of the line at Vivian Park and found a fun playground to play at.
It was just the right break for the girls. After arriving at the park Sunny had to promptly use the restroom. Imagine that.

After I got back from taking her to the bathroom, this family of 7 pulled up on this contraption.
Yes that is a tandem bike trailer and a bike trailer. Talk about mobility, this family had it!


We played for a while at the park and then headed back.
This ride was almost all downhill, which Alyssa who was working hardest of all in our group, appreciated the most.

She learned some new tricks on the way down.
Look no feet pedaling!

It was a great leisurely ride.
Mixed with breathtaking nature.
We can’t wait to do it again!

No comments: